While actually trying to check for something completely different (more on that later maybe)
i found that mysql, mysqladmin and other client binaries in my MySQL 5.5 install dir did
not list libmysqlclient.so as a dependency in ldd output anymore. Looks as if since the
switch to Cmake it gets statically linked into all the bundled client libraries and so
increases binary sizes by a factor of about 10x now, and i can't see any Cmake build
option that would produce the old behavior either.
So my /usr/local/mysql-5.5.21/bin directory now uses 130MB instead of the 17MB that
the /usr/local/mysql-5.1.60/bin one used. Doesn't sound much by itself, but for
someone like me who tries to keep as many versions as possible installed in parallel
for testing purposes it sums up to several GB quickly, and it totally defies the
purpose of having a shared libmysqlclient.so in the first place ...
This is part of the reply i got on my bug report on the ALTER TABLE issue with MyISAM and a large number of partitions from my previous post:
This is a design limitation, MyISAM have one file handle open for the .MYI file shared by all instances of one table, and one file handle open for each table instance for the .MYD file. And the ha_partition generic partitioning engine always open all partitions when opening a table/handler.
So this should not only affect ALTER TABLE but all operations on MyISAM tables with large number of partitions should eventually run into this. Lets try and see what happens ...